Sorry that I haven’t posted in a bit, I don’t really have a reason other than being really lazy! I’d been really good at writing loads of posts at once and then just uploading as and when they were ready but I made the big mistake of failing to prepare properly which always leads to failure! However, I’m back again now and hopefully this is a post which will be useful and enjoyable 🙂 It is based on an article I wrote a while ago for the wedding edition of Lincolnshire Life, which I am super proud to be featured in! In the article I wrote all about my picks for the top wedding looks of spring/summer this year and also wrote about how I get ready for big events so thought I’d share some more on my getting ready for events here.
Next weekend I am going to one of my best friends hen weekends and I cannot wait! I was lucky enough to meet her and some of the other girls who are going, at work and am really lucky to have made such good friends somewhere we have to go everyday! Either way, the preparation for the hen weekend began weeks ago so I thought I’d break down for you my long term prep for any big events I attend as we all know getting ready for any big event is crucial!
For me, I like to ensure that ahead of a big event I am completely prepared and this involves ensuring that my hair is in good condition, my skin is clear and healthy (which isn’t easy when you have spot prone skin like mine) and that my mind is clear and relaxed and this is how I do it:
4-6 weeks before
- Drinking water (And no, this doesn’t include drinking cups of tea!) – For healthy skin it’s so important to drink at least 1 litre of water a day but I always aim for much more than this. As well as clearing skin, water is great for reducing bloating and has so many health benefits, so this is a no brainer all year around! I suffer badly from the occasional breakout and to be honest even when my skin is good it isn’t completely blemish free, but when I stop drinking lots of water it definitely gets worse so if you do suffer from bad skin, just try to increase your intake and see if it makes a difference 🙂
- Have a good exercise plan – I love going to the gym (as I’m sure most of you know from my fat loss updates) and find that a good workout leaves me looking brighter and feeling happier. I choose running and boxing as ways to relieve tension and yoga to calm my mind and lengthen my muscles. My top tip is to ensure that you are enjoying the exercise you’re doing, so that you keep at it and give it your all for the biggest benefits. Currently I aim to do some exercise everyday wherever possible and for me it’s the variation I love the most. Don’t forget as well that to help ensure your skin is bright to drink 1 litre of water for every hour of exercise performed 🙂
- Get into good skincare and hair care routines – Now I know this probably sounds obvious but it’s amazing how many people have used the same routine for years and have never thought to try anything else! In my skin care routine, I start by using an unscented make up wipe to remove my make up for the day without drying it out too much, before using the Garnier Micellar Water to really cleanse the face as it acts like a magnet to dirt and grime and pulls it all off! After this I then use the Garnier Cleanser and Toner to finish to ensure that my face is well hydrated. And don’t forget about those under eyes! Applying an overnight under eye cream or roll on such as ones by Olay or Simple are an easy and affordable way to reduce any unsightly discolouration or puffiness. For my hair I try not to overwash it, but when I do I use good quality shampoo and conditioner (preferably something with argan oil in it) before finishing with an Argan Oil hair mask at least once per week, to prevent any dryness or damage. At the moment, because I keep dying the ends of my hair different colours as I’m a bit bored of my hair, the ends are drier than normal, so ensuring I keep my hair well nourished in between colours is vital! You can view more detail on my skincare routine here!
1 week to go
As well as the above preparation I put in place for an event, the week of the event it’s important to get the finishing touches in place.
- Prepare a look (or several!) – I find that I am happiest when I have planned my look from top to toe so that when I am getting ready to go out I’m not stressed on what to do to get ready. With a week to go I have often pulled a few looks together and will make a final decision on the day as sometimes what you originally had planned in your mind might not work so well on the day (for me it’s usually if I’m having one of those fat days that I might make a last minute outfit change to feel more comfortable) but for all the looks I pull, I have ideas of how to do my hair, make up and accessories, so even if I change my mind, there are no dramas! And don’t forget if you are struggling to decide, ask your girlfriends for help as they are always good at being honest to help you look your best and be your most confident 🙂
- Finishing touches are important – it’s all about the little things the week before an event to help you look and feel your best. These finishing touches include a number of things such as waxing, eyebrow tidy ups, painting nails etc, and even though these are small things which often go un-noticed, they will help you feel more polished so you can enjoy the event without worrying about how you look – and enjoying life is the most important thing!
- Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – Like I said in my intro, when you fail to prepare you cannot expect things to end well! Sometimes events (like the one I am going on this weekend) mean you need an overnight bag as well as specific items in your make up bag, so write a list about 1 week before to ensure you know everything you need. I pack my bag the night before so I know everything is ready and tick items off my list one at a time so I don’t forget anything. Key things for an overnight bag are all your skincare essentials, phone charger, ID etc. and event essentials may include specific jewellery or accessories, particular make up products and things like eyelashes that you might not want to be without on the day. I am a serial over packer and although I always get teased for packing for a week when I am only away for the weekend, I always have more than enough, so don’t be afraid to take too much 🙂
So I hope this was a good insight into how I get ready for big events or parties that I attend and maybe give you some ideas of how you can plan for any big events coming up in your life, to hopefully make getting ready a little bit more stressful and help you enjoy your plans that little bit more 🙂 If you liked this post please remember to like, share, comment and subscribe as I always love to hear from you! And if you want to keep up with me more and see my updates from different events then don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter!
Lots of love, Leanne xx